Re: Re: Mathematica7 doesn't copy/paste metafile in vector format

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104281] Re: [mg104212] Re: Mathematica7 doesn't copy/paste metafile in vector format
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 01:11:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 02:37:26 -0400 (EDT), Lawrence Teo wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> While it is possible to export to bitmap with high enough resolution,
> is there any other way for us to specify how we would want Mathematica
> 7 handle Metafile in vector or raster? After all, that is the main
> reason we have the two options of Copy As > Metafile and Copy As >
> Bitmap at the same time, I thought?

Yes, but the point is that, unless the metafile is a bitmap in these case,=
 it
will not look at all like what you see onscreen.  Surely something which
fundamentally changes the appearance of a graphic for the worse is=
 unacceptable
behavior.  But for many other graphics, as you've discovered, metafile does=

preserve a vector representation.  It is superior to bitmap in some cases,
equivalent in others.  The best compromise we could come up with for file
formats which were designed around 1990 and 1995 respectively (for Windows=
 and
Enhanced variants of the metafile format...my dates might be slightly off,=
 but
are about right).

> I have Mathematica 7 and Mathematica 5.2 on Windows Vista. I have to
> revert back to Mathematica 5.2 when it comes to vector metafile.
> What I can't fully understand is, why on the same Windows Vista,
> Mathematica 5.2 doesn't have the problem of inability of supporting
> high fidelity vector representation, as Mathematica 7 faces?

There was a sea change in the quality of graphics between 5.2 and 7.  If=
 you're
willing to live with the graphics technology that we created in the 1990s,=
 you
can run it in version 7 by evaluating...

<< Version5`Graphics`

before evaluating your plot commands.  You'll get static, non-interactive
graphics (the first thing you'll notice is that you can't rotate the 3D
graphics) with all of the best features we designed in the 90s, and they=
 live
completely within the limitations of the metafile format.

Some of the newer plotting commands may not produce graphics correctly in=
 this
mode, but all of the basic functionality will probably work fine.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group