Re: Replace in operators

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103004] Re: Replace in operators
  • From: did <didier.oslo at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:55:19 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks you all for your replies.

Some solutions proposed do not
apply for my problem because
they are too ad hoc to the simplified
example I proposed. What I have
to treat is more something like

BigBlackBox //. LongListOfSubstitutions

where BigBlackBox includes (so far)
differential operators with derivatives
of up to the fifth order over 8 independant
variables. It's quite impossible to extract
by hand all the operators and use the ad hoc
substitution for each of them.

The two work-around proposed:
ReleaseHold[Hold[BigBlackBox] /. LongListOfSubstitutions]
and
Unevaluated[BigBlackBox] /. LongListOfSubstitutions
would have been great if they worked.
Unfortunately they don't for reasons I don't understand.

On a reduced problem, I managed to create tables including
all the derivatives I needed. This made use tables that crashed
my computer (I've only 4GB of RAM).

Does someone has any other suggestion ?

Thanks again for your help