Re: problem with integrating an interpolated list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103018] Re: problem with integrating an interpolated list
  • From: Harutyun Amirjanyan <amirjanyan at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:57:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Tobias,
I guess I'm late with this post, so wouldn't write any code. contact
me if you need more help.
InterpolatingFunction does a Piecewise polynomial interpolation so
Integrate does a symbolical integration over each piece.
however if variable transformations are used Integrate can't recognize
InterpolatingFunction object. In this case you can make transformation
on data and then construct interpolating function.

With NIntegrate, the nonsmooth behavior of InterpolatingFunction near
the boundaries of pieces produces an error message and requires many
recursive steps to evaluate accurately. before  v6 there was a special
function to deal with this
(NIntegrateInterpolatingFunction in FunctionApproximations) but now
NIntegrate does the job. In your case it doesn't work because your
data is really unsmooth.

thanks for making "Complete Code for trying at home" it was very
convenient