Re: Re: Viewing .mx files (Question)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103009] Re: [mg102986] Re: Viewing .mx files (Question)
  • From: "Scot Martin" <smartin at seas.harvard.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:56:13 -0400 (EDT)

OK, I will reply. On the one hand, .mx is great for saving big items that I
need access to again later, and I use it a lot. Unfortunately, these .mx
files seem to get corrupted very easily and for reasons that I don't know
about, e.g., copying from Windows XP on my laptop to Windows XP on my
desktop with a network hard drive. Then I have to re-run all of the
Mathematica programs to regenerate the .mx files. The documentation says
that .mx are "platform dependent", but from my perspective I am using
Mathematica in a Windows XP environment in both situations, e.g., from my
perspective, it's the same platform. Since I have a rather large number of
.mx files that I call upon generated by multiple notebooks, remaking the .mx
files is an unfortunate time sink for me.