Performance on 64 bit OS

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103075] Performance on 64 bit OS
  • From: fd <fdimer at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 02:35:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All

I recently run a BenchmarkReport[] on my machine at work (Core 2 duo
@2.66GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM on windows xp 32 bit, NVIDIA graphs with
512MB). I wanted to make a comparison with my laptop, a much newer
macbook pro (Core 2 @2.53, 4GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA 256 on Snow leopard).

Though my desktop machine is slightly faster, it was running a 32 bit
operating system, so I was expecting the mac to be at least marginally
better. My surprise was when I got an overall of 2.96 with windows XP
against 2.41 for the Mac (after 4 tests, mean time 35.73 mac x 29.16
windows)

Individually the biggest difference appears to be on test 5 -
Elementary functions - (2.52 Windows x 7.38 on a Mac). The mac was
better at tests 8,7 and 6 (Matrix arithmetic, Large Integer
multiplication and gamma function) with scores of respectively 3.69 x
2.86, 0.94 x 0.53 and 0.53 x 0.29, which makes sense.

Is this expected? or am I doing something wrong on my 64 bit operating
system machine?

Another question is whether Mathematica will take advantage of OpenCL
technology (or any GPGPU technology as windows 7 is promising)

Best