Re: Switching between 32 and 64 bit kernels, licensing?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103210] Re: Switching between 32 and 64 bit kernels, licensing?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 07:23:52 -0400 (EDT)

On 9/9/09 at 4:44 AM, scott.morrison at gmail.com (Scott Morrison)
wrote:

>I want to boot my OS X snow leopard machine using the 64 bit kernel
>some days, the 32 bit kernel other days.

>Unfortunately, this breaks Mathematica's licensing mechanism -- it
>wants a new password under the 64 bit kernel. Presumably getting a
>new password won't fix my problem, as then I won't be able to run
>under the 32 bit kernel.

>Is there a solution?

I just changed the booting of my machine to use the 64-bit
kernel. I had not realized why Mathematica asked for a password
until I saw this message. I simply used the password I had
previously used with the 32 bit kernel and that seems to work
fine. That is, it looks like you don't need a new password, just
re-input the password you currently have.

But I do agree it would be better if this was not needed. For
myself, I don't anticipate switching between kernels often (if
at all). So, this isn't a big deal for me.