NDSolve Mathematica 6 and 7

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103336] NDSolve Mathematica 6 and 7
  • From: Mark Perrin <m.perrin at me.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 05:46:29 -0400 (EDT)

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am solving a set of partial
and ordinary differential equations in Mathematica 7. For the same set
of equations and same expression i.e.

solution =
  NDSolve[EQNS, STATES, {t, 0, 500}, {x, 0, 1.6}, MaxStepSize -> {1,
0.01},
   MaxSteps -> Infinity, AccuracyGoal -> 5, PrecisionGoal -> 5]

where EQNS are the ODEs.

Mathematica 6 solves this in < 5 minutes.
Mathematica 7 takes about 40-45 minutes.
for the same solution.

Same hardware etc.

Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to speed up the solution
in Mathematica 7. Why would the two be so different?

Kind Regards,

Patch