Re: Bizarre error when exporting to PDF

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103348] Re: Bizarre error when exporting to PDF
  • From: ragfield <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 05:48:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 15, 3:25 am, Erin Noel <eno... at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I have a program that exports multiple files to PDF and it's been running
> fine for weeks/months. Then today I try to run the same exact program that
> hasn't been edited since the last time it ran fine, and all of a sudden none
> of the PDF files are being properly exported. I keep getting the errors:
>
> ToExpression::notstrbox: "Developer`UseFrontEnd[6.] is not a string or a
> box. ToExpression can only interpret strings or boxes as Mathematica input."

This error message indicates that your MathKernel session can't
connect to a Mathematica FrontEnd to perform the export operation.
Presumably you are doing this from a command line MathKernel session.
What platform are you using?

If you are using Linux, ensure you have a connection to the X server
from your terminal (just try running xterm to see if it works).

If you are using a Mac, ensure you have a connection to the
WindowServer from your remote session (e.g. open /Applications/
TextEdit.app).

There's probably some equivalent test to perform on Windows, but I
don't know what it might be.

-Rob