Estimating memory usage of expressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108965] Estimating memory usage of expressions
  • From: Jim Lambaugh <lambaugh at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:03:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi

Is there a way to estimate how many bytes the different expressions in
Mathematica take from the memory? For example I wish to know how many
bytes a NxN matrix with real entries is, the list of its eigenvectors,
eigenvalues etc.

I know of the command "ByteCount", but the results I get are not
consistent, i.e. a list of 1 integers does not take up the same amount
of memory as one single integer etc. So: Is there a way to estimate
these things? I'm running on a 32-bit system (if that makes a
difference).