Re: Estimating memory usage of expressions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108987] Re: Estimating memory usage of expressions
  • From: Nicola Mingotti <nico020978 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 03:32:34 -0400 (EDT)

The object "1" and the object "list containing only the element 1" are different
in nature so it's expectable they heve different Mathematica representation
and different Memory usage.

I don't know the C representation for a Mathematica List or a Mathematica
Integer, i don't even know if they are public domain.

Anyway, if you do

ByteCount[{1}]      => 56
ByteCount[{1,2}]    => 80
ByteCount[{1,2,3}]   => 104
ByteCount[{1,2,3,4}]   => 128

you see the difference is always 24 bytes.

It tried to do a little experiment, the list data structure changes
when you add some elements :

r = Table[RandomInteger[], {i, 100}];
(ByteCount[r] - 32) / 24    => 100

r = Table[RandomInteger[], {i, 200}];
(ByteCount[r] - 32) / 24    => 200

r = Table[RandomInteger[], {i, 250}];
(ByteCount[r] - 32) /24     => 91/2       !!!!

In the last result i would expect naively a result 250,
91/2 tells me that things underwood are more sophisticated.

Hope somebody can tell you more ;-)

bye

n.