Re: Creating a hybrid cell

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109189] Re: Creating a hybrid cell
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 05:51:40 -0400 (EDT)

> A better solution would be the following: create a text cell and enter
> > something like "Previously we calculated the value of X1 to be ", then
> > insert an inline cell (ctrl+9, I believe). In the inline cell, enter
> > "Dynamic[X1]", select and evaluate in place.
> >
> > The inline cell, although it appears inside of a text cell, will
> > automatically update to reflect the current value of X1. The previous
> > solution only captures the value of X1 at the time of evaluation.

Are there any side effects that one has to watch out for with this
approach?

As one (probably unrealistic) concern, suppose one did this with a
sizable number of variables X1 . . . X100, or did it with a moderately
complex Plot (can this be done with a Plot, inside a text cell?).

Might doing this seriously slow down (or otherwise mess up) other
calculations involving or using the X_n values?