Re: Problem using LinkSnooper when Mathematica pathname contains a space

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111844] Re: Problem using LinkSnooper when Mathematica pathname contains a space
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 07:36:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 12, 3:29 am, Bob F <deepyog... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to set up a "LinkSnooper" kernel when the
> application path has a space as part of the pathname?
>
> I tried to precede the space with a backslash, but no luck. Here is
> the command I am trying to get working:
>
> -LinkMode Launch -LinkName "java -cp /Applications/Wolfram/Mathematica
> \ 7.0.1.app/SystemFiles/Links/JLink/JLink.jar
> com.wolfram.jlink.util.LinkSnooper -noinit -kernelname '/Applications/
> Wolfram/Mathematica\ 7.0.1.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel -mathlink'"
>
> If your're not familiar with LinkSnooper see the Mathematica
> explanation at
>
> http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/JLink/ref/java/com/wolfram/j...
>
> Thanks...
>
> -Bob

According to Wolfram support, a space in the pathname is a known bug/
limitation in the Mac version of LinkSnooper. So, renaming path to
have no spaces is a must (don't forget to remove the "Caches" folder -
"~/Library/Mathematica/FrontEnd/7.0 Caches" on the Mac after the
rename - and make sure Mathematica isn't running when you do).

So, the BIG question is - how does one run LinkSnooper on a remote
kernel or alternatively, how do you run it to "connect" to an existing
remote kernel. If you've done this please post the Kernel
Configuration "MLOpen arguments" and "Launch command" that were used.

Thanks very much.

-Bob