Re: Formatting - bold characters as variables?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111941] Re: Formatting - bold characters as variables?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 07:06:49 -0400 (EDT)

Such symbols do exist in Unicode, actually.  See here...

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D400.pdf

It's not unreasonable to suggest that Mathematica should support them.  It' s
even possible that there might be fonts out there which have these characters
right now, although given that the characters are in plane 1 of Unicode and
Mathematica does not directly support characters outside of Unicode plane 0,
it'd be tricky to access them.

It's certainly also possible that you could create a notation which includes
certain style information.  I won't use Bold here because most fonts generally
don't support any more Bold than the Input bold, but I'll do the same thing with
a color (or you could choose Italic, a different font family, or whatever):

SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
 InputAliases -> {"aa" ->
    InterpretationBox["a", GreenA,
     BaseStyle -> {FontColor -> RGBColor[0, 1, 0],
       ShowSyntaxStyles -> False}]}]

MakeBoxes[GreenA, StandardForm] :==
 InterpretationBox["a", GreenA,
  BaseStyle -> {FontColor -> RGBColor[0, 1, 0],
    ShowSyntaxStyles -> False}]

Use Esc-aa-Esc to enter the character.  It interprets as the Global` variable
GreenA.  Quite possibly the Notation palette would allow you to do this more
simply...I'm not very well versed with it, though, so couldn't speak to that.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group