Re: Selecting points from graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112061] Re: Selecting points from graphics
  • From: Fred Klingener <gigabitbucket at BrockEng.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 07:02:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 25, 6:04 am, "Kent A. Vander Velden"
<kent.vandervel... at gmail.com> wrote:
> In Mathematica 7, I plot data using ListPointPlot3D[...] and
> Graphics3D[Sphere[...] /@ data] to quickly see if outliers exist, but
> finding the exact value of the outlier is not so quick. Currently, I only
> know to narrow down the list using Select[...] sometimes preceded
> by PlotRange with Manipulate[...]. I'm hoping there is a way to select and
> report on points from the plot. Ideally, the selection would pass
> information about the selected point to a separate function. If either of
> these is possible, would someone point me in the correct direction?

Sometimes, I use something like this:

Graphics3D[
 {
  (* sphere with 3 sigma radius *)
  {Opacity[0.5],
   Sphere[{0., 0., 0.}, 3]}
     (* Cloud of random 3D points with normal distribution - mean = 0,
sigma = 1 *)
 , Table[
   Tooltip[
    Point[
     RandomReal[
      NormalDistribution[0, 1], 3]
     ]
(* Tooltip returns the position of the Point in the Table *)
 , ToString[j]]
   , {j, 1, 100}]
  }
 ]