how connect version 8 to Cygwin gcc?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114587] how connect version 8 to Cygwin gcc?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 06:01:38 -0500 (EST)

I want to compile C code under Windows 8.0.0 on Windows (XP, SP3) using
the Cygwin gcc compiler.

But how do I get a version of that compiler that does not require
cygwin.dll? A search shows only installing gcc as a package under Cygwin
setup, which seems to mean that cygwin.dll is required -- and the
Mathematica docs say that version won't work.

FWIW, I do have the path to the Cygwin /bin directory on my Windows PATH
environment variable. And I even tried to have cygwin running. But
still, the CCompilerDriver doesn't seen to recognize this version of gcc.

There may just be something, or two somethings, that I'm not putting
together to get this to work.

How?

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.