Re: Entering full names (without replacement) in the front end

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114855] Re: Entering full names (without replacement) in the front end
  • From: Simon <simonjtyler at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 00:41:01 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 19, 9:11 pm, Peter Pein <pet... at dordos.net> wrote:
> Am Fri, 17 Dec 2010 11:22:13 +0000 (UTC)
> schrieb Jason Alexander <ja... at lse.ac.uk>:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > On occasion, I find myself wanting to enter the full name of a
> > symbol, like "\[Function]" in a notebook without having the full name
> > automatically replaced by the character it stands for. I've yet to
> > find a way of doing this! The front end is so determined to be
> > helpful, which is no doubt the correct default in the vast majority
> > of cases. that it insists upon replacing it. I'm sure it must be
> > possible, though, because the Mathematica documentation is full of
> > instances of it.
>
> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> > Cheers,
>
> > Jason
>
> > --
> > Dr. J. McKenzie Alexander
> > Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method
> > London School of Economics
> > Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
>
> Maybe  <esc>\<esc>[Function] is sufficient? Doesn't look really good
> but works :-\
>
> Peter

Along the same lines as Peter's answer you can try using \
[InvisibleSpace]:
\<esc>is<esc>[Function]

But if you really want to stop it from formatting, you need the
option
ShowSpecialCharacters->False
This can be set for a cell from the Option Inspector, under:
Formatting Options - Expression Formatting - Display Options
Or you can just write it into the Cell's expression Ctrl-Shift-E

You also don't need to set the option for a whole Cell.
Rather you can set it in only a subcell, eg:
Cell[TextData[{
 "Some normal text: \[Alpha]\n",
 Cell["\<\
Text with ShowSpecialCharacters->False: \[Beta]\
\>", "Text",
  ShowSpecialCharacters->False],
 "\nMore normal text: \[Gamma]"
}], "Text"]