Re: Re: Re: What does & mean?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107165] Re: [mg107126] Re: [mg107071] Re: [mg107050] What does & mean?
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 06:28:45 -0500 (EST)

How the top row of the keyboard is used depends on a preferences and can be set in System Preferences (OS X).

I normally use the keys for the uses printed on the keytops (brighter/dimmer, Widgets, etc.), but I can hold down the fn key (lower left on my MacBook Pro) to use the standard F1. (The system pref inverts the default action.)

There is no 'fn' key on my iMac keyboard. I'm sure that there is a way to invert the sense of the function key row, but I'm too lazy to crank up the computer to find out. If you use the F keys for F1, F2, etc. a lot, then it makes sense to set the system preference. (That panel will give instructions on how to temporarily invert the sense of the keys.)

You can get the same action with shift-cmd-F, which is what I usually do.

george woodrow iii