Re: Transition to Wolfram Workbench

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107825] [mg107825] Re: Transition to Wolfram Workbench
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 03:15:42 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> I tried to create some test documentation using the workbench but
> failed to use the documentation tools palette when Mathematica was
> called because some of its elements were hidden and I could not
> increase the size of the palette window. In the workbench I had
> problems using the help system as the font size is really tiny, but no
> possibility to change it.

it sounds like you are using either a non standard setup, since all
looks very reasonable on the systems I have been using. One thing you
can try is to configure the eclipse help system to use an external web
browser, you have then all the possibilities to change the appearance of
the help content within the web browser of your choice. As for the
documentation tools palette you could try to manipulate the
corresponding notebooks magnification to make everything fit within the
window with something like:

SetOptions[Notebooks[][[1]], Magnification -> 1]

where of course you would have to check at which position the
DocumentationTools-Palette appears in your case...

> I am afraid such elementary difficulties
> will discourage newcomers like me to use the workbench.

I am not trying to convince anyone to use the workbench, as I said, IMHO
it only adds value for certain special tasks and it needs some effort to
get used to it _and_ it might well have its deficiencies. Unfortunatly
at this time there isn't really an alternative to it when you want to
create documentation for the Documentation Center, although there are
some recipes about how you can create documentation for the
documentation center without using the workbench and wolframs
documentation tools. But these also have their deficiencies and also
need some effort to get decent results.

hth,

albert