Re: Using tilde in symbol name

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107842] Re: Using tilde in symbol name
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 04:53:55 -0500 (EST)

On 2/27/10 at 3:15 AM, alexander.stippler at uni-ulm.de (Alexander
Stippler) wrote:

>I'm just starting to write my first package in Mathematica 7. Now I
>want to have an Array named \Overtilde[m]. How can I get this to
>work? Is it allowed at all? I also would like to have a symbol
>\Subscript[j,x]. Are these names allowed at all and how can I
>realize them if yes? To say it once more in other words, I want
>variables which would be the follwing in Tex:

>\tilde{m} j_{x}

It is possible to create almost any notation you would like to
use. Details can be found in various tutorials shown at the
bottom of the page that comes up when searching on

Notation/guide/NotationPackage

in the Documentation Center

But, while this is possible, this is not something I would
recommend. I don't see enough benefit to compensate for the
effort needed to make this work.