Re: Using tilde in symbol name

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg107832] Re: Using tilde in symbol name
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 04:52:01 -0500 (EST)

Hi --

It is 'best' if your function names contain only ASCII characters. If you plan to use Wolfram Workbench or use a 'code' cell designation, you would have to constantly type in \Overtilde[m], for example.

I have tried using fancy formatting in the past, and it turned out to be more trouble than it is worth. Use the fancy formatting in notebooks where showing a real theta instead of a variable named theta is important. You can think of it this way: you should use descriptive variable names, rather than just x, y, z, n, etc. It is easier to track a variable named 'theta' than it is to track one named \[Theta]. Better to use the programming constructs internally, and typeset the output if needed at the end.

george woodrow III