Re: Re: Financial Data - Currencies

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106135] Re: [mg106102] Re: [mg106062] Financial Data - Currencies
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 05:06:55 -0500 (EST)

> (* It works for several years span. See a good example from the David
> Park's "Presentation" package *)

Yes, it works... if you don't mind most of the data being missing,
including a gap of 297 days:

data = FinancialData["EUR/USD", {2000, 1, 1}];
dates = data[[All, 1]];
differences = DateDifference @@@ Partition[dates, 2, 1];
Length@dates
DateDifference @@ dates[[{1, -1}]]
{Median@#, Length@#} & /@ Split[differences, Max[##] < 6 &]

339

789

{{1, 102}, {297, 1}, {1, 235}}

DateListPlot@data

First@data

{{2007, 9, 27}, 1.42}

Your code attempts to get data beginning Dec 1 2006, but there isn't any
until Sept 27 2007... this for a currency about which Wiki says:

"The name euro was officially adopted on 16 December 1995. The euro was
introduced to world financial markets as an accounting currency on 1
January 1999..."

and

"As of November 2008, with more than ¤751 billion in circulation, the euro
is the currency with the highest combined value of cash in circulation in
the world, having surpassed the U.S. dollar."

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com