Lists of Equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106307] Lists of Equations
  • From: Michael Knudsen <micknudsen at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 04:13:37 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I have just started using Mathematica, and I wonder what the easiest
way to manage a large set of equations is. I have a bunch of
differential equations

y1'[x] = z1[x]
y2'[x] = z2[x]
yn'[x] = zn[x]

and I have grouped them together in a list like

eqs = {y1'[x]==z1[x], ..., yn'[x]==zn[x]}

which fits perfectly as an argument to NDSolve. However, I think that,
at a later point, I may have to use z1,...,zn separately, and I
thought about defining

yeqs = {y1'[x],...,yn'[x]}
zeqs = {z1[x],...,zn[x]}

and them combine them. What I would really like is something like

yeqs + "==" + zeqs

but I can't seem to find any list operation that will do that. Any
help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael Knudsen