Manipulating FinancialData[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106330] Manipulating FinancialData[]
  • From: Syd Geraghty <sydgeraghty at me.com>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 04:18:02 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I have got stuck trying to play around with manipulating FinancialData[]!

Manipulate[Column[{
   Row[{"FinancialData[", ToString[financialInstrumentName], "] = ",
     FinancialData[financialInstrumentName]}],
   Row[{"\nProperty = ", ToString[property]}],
   Row[{"\nfinancialDataExchange = ", ToString[financialDataExchange]}],
   Row[{"\nFinancialData[", ToString[financialInstrumentName],
     "," ToString[property], "] = ",
     FinancialData[financialInstrumentName, property]}]
                                     }],
 {{financialDataExchange, "NASDAQ", "Exchange List"},
  FinancialData["Exchanges"]}, {{financialInstrumentName, "NASDAQ:AAPL",
   "Financial Instrument List"},
  FinancialData["NASDAQ:*", "Lookup"]}, {{property, "Close", "Property List"},
   FinancialData["Properties"]}]

is a simple example which enables me to select an Exchange List, Financial Instrument List, and a Property List.

But I really want the Financial Instrument List to be derived from the selected Exchange List when I subsequently select a member of that List. (e.g. "ExchangeList Selection:Stock Name").

So I tried variants of the following without success:

Manipulate[Column[{
   Row[{"FinancialData[", ToString[financialInstrumentName], "] = ",
     FinancialData[financialInstrumentName]}],
   Row[{"\nProperty = ", ToString[property]}],
   Row[{"\nfinancialDataExchange = ", ToString[financialDataExchange]}],
   Row[{"\nFinancialData[", ToString[financialInstrumentName],
     "," ToString[property], "] = ",
     FinancialData[financialInstrumentName, property]}]
                                     }],
 {{financialDataExchange, "NASDAQ", "Exchange List"},
  FinancialData["Exchanges"]}, {{financialInstrumentName, "NASDAQ:AAPL",
   "Financial Instrument List"},
  FinancialData[ToString[financialDataExchange <> ":" <> "*"],
   "Lookup"]}, {{property, "Close", "Property List"},
  FinancialData["Properties"]}]

What I am trying to do probably becomes clearer after using the Manipulate output from the 1st piece of code:

After the 1st evaluation, which by default selects NASDAQ:AAPL, then select another member of the Exchange List, say Singapore.

What I want is for the Financial Instrument List to then allow selections from the revised  list such as Singapore:AAPL, Singapore:AATI, Singapore: .....

I would appreciate help in solving this seemingly simple requirement.

Cheers .... Syd

Syd Geraghty B.Sc, M.Sc.

sydgeraghty at mac.com

Mathematica 7.0.1.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64 - bit) (12th September 2009)
MacOS X V 10.6.1 Snow Leopard
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM