Re: Manipulating FinancialData[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106365] Re: Manipulating FinancialData[]
  • From: "Drago Ganic" <dganic at vodatel.net>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 05:26:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi Syd,
to retrieve the financial instruments You should use the "Members" property
of the group "Exchanges" and not the "Lookup" command.

So, this does not work:
    FinancialData["exchangeCode:*", "Lookup"]

but this
    FinancialData["exchangeName", "Members"]

will work because FinancialData["Exchanges"] returns a list of Exchange
names (which work with "Members") and not Exchange codes (which work with
Lookup"). Unfortunatly there is no simple functionality in FinancialData to
extract the Exchange codes.

This code should work (except for bugs in FinancialData like
FinancialData["^ASIN"] etc.):
Manipulate[
 Column[{
   Row[{"FinancialData[", ToString[financialInstrumentName], "] = ",
     FinancialData[financialInstrumentName]}],
   Row[{"\nProperty = ", ToString[property]}],
   Row[{"\nfinancialDataExchange = ",
     ToString[financialDataExchange]}],
   Row[{"\nFinancialData[", ToString[financialInstrumentName],
     "," ToString[property], "] = ",
     FinancialData[financialInstrumentName, property]}]}
  ],
 {{financialDataExchange, "NASDAQ", "Exchange List"},
  FinancialData["Exchanges"]}, {{financialInstrumentName,
   "NASDAQ:AAPL", "Financial Instrument List"},
  FinancialData[financialDataExchange, "Members"]}, {{property,
   "Close", "Property List"}, FinancialData["Properties"]}]

Greetings from Croatia,
Drago

news:hi6t7r$a7u$1 at smc.vnet.net...