Re: NonlinearModelFit ... please find me only integers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106348] Re: NonlinearModelFit ... please find me only integers
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 03:28:25 -0500 (EST)

On 1/8/10 at 4:15 AM, nuktobi at gmail.com (Ktota) wrote:

>how can i tell NonlinearModelFit that a parameter it is supposed to
>optimize should be only an Integer?

As far as I know, this cannot be done using NonlinearModelFit.
NonlinearModelFit seems to be designed to do non-linear
regression with the usual assumptions. This is an unconstrained
optimization problem. Once you impose a constraint on any
parameter, the problem becomes a constrained optimization
problem. See:

tutorial/UnconstrainedOptimizationOverview
tutorial/ConstrainedOptimizationOverview

=46indFit or NMimimize can be used to find the best fit parameters
with constraints. Look at the second entry in the online
documentation for FindFit for syntax details.