Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106529] Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 03:20:47 -0500 (EST)

In article <hhpl28$9lf$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I stick to my view of replacement rules as being aimed primarily at advanced
> users, or at least as a tool that should be used with much care.

But on the other hand, innumerable software apps of all varieties and at
all levels down to the most elementary (e.g., nearly all word
processors, text editors, graphics programs, spreadsheet programs, email
programs, and so on) include "Find and Replace" capabilities.

These capabilities frequently have varied options:
   "Find Next"  "Replace and Find"  "As Word"
   "Start at Top"  "Replace All"  "In Selection Only"
and so on.  Many have optional GREP abilities.

So:

1)  Most any computer user at even a very elementary level knows about
these tools, rather expects to have them available, and expects them to
function as they in fact do function.

2)  In particular, they operate (visibly!) on what you see -- not some
arcane internal representation.

3)  So, if such a novice user goes to Mathematica, it's only to be
expected that this user will thnik that Mathematica's ReplaceAll should
function in a similar fashion (and, helpfully, Mathematic's /. operator
most of the time does function in that way) (sarcasm mode in that
parens).

4)  So why can't Mathematica also have a TextReplace[ ] function, or
something similar, that would function in that way _on what the user
sees or has typed (or copied and pasted) into a selected cell_.

Given such a function my input would be Find " I " and replace it
with " (-I) ".