Re: Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106546] Re: [mg106527] Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 06:09:42 -0500 (EST)

No, they should learn Mathematica early.

But they won't do that until Mathematica is nearly universal in the
technical community and is considered to be a must have, must learn
application.

And that won't happen until anyone who has Mathematica is able write
literate active dynamic notebooks that can be read by anyone following the
free Acrobat Reader model.

And once that happens, many more users will write their papers as
Mathematica notebooks, and many more people will read them and be persuaded
to buy and use Mathematica themselves.

Then, students will buy and learn Mathematica and when they get to college
they will know the basics and such simple things as how and how not to use
replacement rules.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: AES [mailto:siegman at stanford.edu]

In article <hhhmn8$o9t$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com> wrote:

>  . . . so to use it correctly one should have a pretty good idea of the
> internal representation of participating expressions in Mathematica, as
well
> as on possible evaluations that may take place. This is certainly not
> intuitive . . .

In other words, the vast majority of college students, working engineers
and scientists, and generally anyone with less than an MS degree in
Math, should stay miles away from Mathematica.

At least that's what these words imply to me . . .