Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106575] Re: More /.{I->-1} craziness
  • From: Vince Virgilio <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 06:15:24 -0500 (EST)

On Jan 15, 3:20 am, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
> In article <hhpl28$9l... at smc.vnet.net>,
>  Leonid Shifrin <lsh... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I stick to my view of replacement rules as being aimed primarily at adv=
anced
> > users, or at least as a tool that should be used with much care.
>
> But on the other hand, innumerable software apps of all varieties and at
> all levels down to the most elementary (e.g., nearly all word
> processors, text editors, graphics programs, spreadsheet programs, email
> programs, and so on) include "Find and Replace" capabilities.
>
> These capabilities frequently have varied options:
>    "Find Next"  "Replace and Find"  "As Word"
>    "Start at Top"  "Replace All"  "In Selection Only"
> and so on.  Many have optional GREP abilities.

SNIP

AES,

Nice observation, but it opens a can of worms and potentially quite a
tangent.

I think MS Word's Autocorrect feature throws a wrench in this argument
(Mac who?). Keywords such as '...' or \alpha readily disappear into
their Unicode glyphs. Such "usual (non-arithmetic) conversions"
complicate use of Find/Replace, *requiring closer attention by the
user*. Stronger, I couldn't immediately figure out how to search for
the converted alpha glyph in Word. Mathematica has its own set of
similar complications and cautions.

It's never easy.

Vince Virgilio

(As others have said, there are more expressive and transparent ways
to conjugate an expression, i.e. Conjugate.)