Re: Discrete event simulation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106631] Re: [mg106599] Discrete event simulation
  • From: Ariel Sepulveda <sepulveda.cuevas at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 05:14:09 -0500 (EST)

I have successfully used Mathematica for similar purposes in a manufacturing
environment.  I don't know of a book but the main basic constructs used for
statistical simulation are already contained in Mathematica: probability
distributions for calculating probabilities and generating random numbers,
and a programming language that may provide much more flexibility than any
other simulation package.  If you feel comfortable programming in
Mathematica and have a good knowledge of the theory of simulation I would
recommend you to proceed and build your models in Mathematica.

I have developed some tools that may be very useful for your needs,
particularly for  data analysis and graphical representation of event
relations (e.g.
http://www.prontoanalytics.com/mathematica/BESTViewpoints/tutorial/BESTViewpointsRelationalViewpoints.htmland
http://www.prontoanalytics.com/mathematica/MXLPlus/ref/MarketBasketAnalysis.html).
 Additionally, the control charts described in SPC (
http://www.prontoanalytics.com/mathematica/MXLPlus/tutorial/StatisticalProcessControl.html)
may be very useful for parameter estimation in discrete and continuous
variables processes.  Types of control charts in the package include XBar,
R, S, individuals, EWMA, P, NP, C, NC, U, and T^2.  Using the SPC module in
BEST Viewpoints makes parameter estimation a very simple process: 1. import
data, 2. select control chart 3. parameters estimated automatically.