Journals dying?, apparently rather slowly (was , I->-I)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106791] Journals dying?, apparently rather slowly (was , I->-I)
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 07:35:49 -0500 (EST)

I just checked my online catalog for names that include "computer" and
"journal"  and got 945 hits.

Now these are either online, or they appear in the catalog which is on line.

Do you really think these are all going to be replaced by
Mathematica-based dynamic .nb stuff anytime soon?

Even stuff like
	Interactive multimedia electronic journal of computer-enhanced learning
[electronic resource] : IMEJ of CEL
(started in 1999).

and what about

	International journal of applied mathematics and computer science /
Technical University of Zielona

That's in Poland.

searching for mathematics AND journal  I got 600 hits.
searching for mathematica AND journal  I got 18, e.g. Acta Mathematica
Sinica

So, in spite of all protestations to the contrary, journals seem to be
around, and in fact new ones are starting up and apparently making
money, even now.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, of course.

RJF