Re: Journals dying?, apparently rather slowly (was , I->-I)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106820] Re: [mg106791] Journals dying?, apparently rather slowly (was , I->-I)
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akozlowski at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 05:41:25 -0500 (EST)

So much energy expanded to so little effect. RJF seems to like nothing
more than knocking down straw opponents he has built himself. In fact,
quite often his methods is illustrated in his recent response to my
post.

I wrote:

This is something in which Mathematica currently has no competitors
among CAS systems and in fact in practice its only competitor is Java.
This functionality is entirely lost if you replace an .nb or .nbp file
with a pdf. Its usefulness obviously depends on the area one applies it
to.

In response quoted only the second line and then added from himself:

1. There is, by now, a well-established model for writing Java Applets
for illustrating mathematical concepts. A google search will find a huge
number of them. Mathematica, while providing a simple interface from the
programmer level to (say) plotting, is hardly unique.

Great difference, as everyone can see. Lots of debating points scored by
RJF - in his mind of course.

The same thing in this post. Who is he arguing with and about what?

I certainly have never predicted that Mathematica would take over the
world. I have no idea what will happen in the future of computing,
publishing or anything else, except one thing that I am pretty sure of.
The world record in longevity is still held by Jeanne Calment of France
(1875=961997) who died at age 122. That makes it easy to calculate the
certain upper bounds on the basis of which I could venture to make
certain predictions of the kind I already implied.  Any other has
nothing to do with me.