Re: Series and passing a function a changing number of

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106822] Re: [mg106758] Series and passing a function a changing number of
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 05:41:48 -0500 (EST)

Ignacio,

In short, what you were missing seems to be Apply[Sequence,...] construct.

The signature of a function you declare suggests that the starting point
will have all components equal, and you want your function to be expanded to
the same order in each dimension (otherwise you'd need lists for those
parameters and that would not be any different than a built-in Series).
Then, the following seems to do what you asked for:

In[1]:=
Clear[myTaylorExpander];
myTaylorExpander[function_, varList : {__Symbol}, startPoint_, ord_] :=
 Series[function @@ varList,
  Sequence @@
   PadRight[List /@ varList, {Length[varList], 3}, {ord, startPoint}]]

In[3]:= myTaylorExpander[Sin, {x}, 0, 4]

Out[3]= SeriesData[x, 0, {1, 0,
Rational[-1, 6]}, 1, 5, 1]

In[4]:=
Clear[fn];
fn[x_, y_] := Exp[x + 2 y^x];
myTaylorExpander[fn, {p, q}, 0, 2]

Out[6]= SeriesData[p, 0, {E^2,
SeriesData[q, 0, {E^2 + 2 E^2 Log[q]}, 0, 3, 1],
SeriesData[
  q, 0, {Rational[1, 2] E^2 + 2 E^2 Log[q] + 3 E^2 Log[q]^2}, 0, 3,
   1]}, 0, 3, 1]

Regards,
Leonid