Re: License terms for free Mathematica Player

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg106642] Re: License terms for free Mathematica Player
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 01:41:29 -0500 (EST)

"AES" <siegman at stanford.edu> wrote in message
news:hjmjcq$bb$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> In article <hjjqf2$91h$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
> "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org> wrote:
>

>> You do not need a license to use the free Mathematica player. Just like
>> you
>> do not need a license to open a pdf file using the free pdf reader?
>>

> The licensing terms that you must agree to for using the free
> Mathematica player are located at
>
> <http://www.wolfram.com/solutions/interactivedeployment/licensingterms.ht
> ml>
>
> Lotsa fine print!

One thing I see is this:
"
The following uses of .nbp Files are prohibited:
Selling the file or including the file in a commercial service.
Distributing the file under a cost-recovery scheme (via interdepartmental
billing) within an organization.
"

So, I can't sell my .nbp file. I did not know this. But I am not sure why
WRI would put this restriction. If I want to sell my .nbp, why would this
not be allowed?

You are right, lots of print. But so is the license I just clicked on for
the adobe product the PDF reader, which I never bothered to read, has lots
of print, so is that for using Java. There seem to be a license to use
anything on the net. I am sure there is a license somewhere for using google
and yahoo.

I am not a lawyer, so I would not try to play one here, but i'd like to see
the Mathematica player be completely free to use with no restrictions.

> Some of the things you can and cannot do with the free Player, compared
> to a purchased Player, are listed at
>
> <http://www.wolfram.com/solutions/interactivedeployment/compare.html>

Yes, that is what I said before, the free player should have no
restrictions.

--Nasser