Re: SyntaxInformation Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110792] Re: SyntaxInformation Question
  • From: "E. Martin-Serrano" <eMartinSerrano at telefonica.net>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 07:40:40 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Bill,

Very useful your remarks. Mainly the one about the symbols that might
evaluate to options as in

Options[f]={aaa->1,bbb->2,ccc -> 4};

SyntaxInformation[f]={"ArgumentsPattern"->{_,_,OptionsPattern[]}};

f[x, y, z, k, l, m, aaa->2,bbb->3,ccc->4].

It seems to me that SintaxInformation[] is a bit tricky to use as a syntax
oriented tool; since, at least in this respect, the form that Mathematica
treats SyntaxInformation[] involves both semantics and syntax. In the
example, "k", "l", "m" are not by any means under the form of an option rule
and if the parser were able to color separately the hypothetically offending
elements (due to semantics) one could decide whether these elements are
meant to evaluate to options or not.

That is why your remark has been usefull. By keeping the focus in the form,
I had hardly ever thought "k", "l", "m" were being taken as potential
options.

Besides, IMO in the case of

f[x, {a, b}, Sequence@@Array[x&, 100]], the parser should be able to know
that Sequence@@Array[x&, 100] is just a sequence of 100 elements which
clearly breaks the syntaz specification.

In other words perhaps SintaxInformation[] should distinguish between sintax
violation indications and semantic warnings.

Thanks again.

Emilio.