Re: Combine matrices of equal height

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111061] Re: Combine matrices of equal height
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 01:07:10 -0400 (EDT)

First, unless I've missed something, it's not so easy find out how to do
this by searching the documentation.

Second, I always hesitate to deem a method "the best way" to do
something. But Join with a third argument designating joining at "level"
2 does the trick nicely.

This is documented twice on page ref/Join, first in the Scope section
and then again in the Applications section.  Example, like those:

   m1 = {{a,b,c},{d,e,f},{g,h,i}};
   m2 = {{x,y}, {u,v}, {z,w}};
   wider = Join[m1, m2, 2]

Thus there is no need to resort to the "trick" of using Transpose.

Third, the difficulty here is, to my mind, a limitation of Mathematica's
inherent lack of any true array structure but rather just the
one-dimensional structure of lists. Higher-order arrays need to be built
more or less explicitly from lists.  And that means the seemingly
artificial way of treating questions such as yours, by means of a
"level" specification.

In a language that has a full-fledged development of arrays of any order
(e.g., APL and, especially, J), such things as you ask are often easier,
and more general, to handle.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305