Re: total newbie

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111045] Re: total newbie
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 01:04:14 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/17/10 at 8:15 AM, kellrobinson at yahoo.com (Michael Robinson)
wrote:

>I downloaded mathematica tonight so I can do an assignment.  I have
>to modify a file our teacher posted on the class website, solve some
>equations and generate a curve... okay, this file ends in the
>extension nb. I need to know how to make the commands in the file
>execute.

>Now don't laugh.  I put the  cursor at the end of the line (for
>example a ParametricPlot command) and hit enter.  I get a carriage
>return.

To get Mathematica to execute commands use shift-return rather
than just return.

If you are going to have any success at all with Mathematica,
you should at a minimum go to the Help menu select Virtual Book
and read the introductory material. You can access that by
clicking on arrows to the left of headings in the window you see
until you get to specific articles. The articles can be read by
clicking on them which will open them in a separate window.

One of the nice aspects of the Virtual Book is the windows that
open are Mathematica notebooks which means you can execute any
of the commands to get a result. Further, you can edit the
parameters and re-execute the command to see how it changes the
output. And since any changes you make to these documentation
notebooks won't be saved, you can change things without fear of
messing up the documentation.