Re: Assign value to variable

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111263] Re: Assign value to variable
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 02:00:47 -0400 (EDT)

This will work, regardless of whether the variables already had some values
or not:

Table[ToExpression["co" <> ToString[i], InputForm,
  Function[s, s = 0, HoldAll]], {i, 100}]

I would recommend using indexed variables like co[1], co[2] etc
instead of co1, co2, etc - then it is even much easier:

In[10]:= Clear[co];
In[11]:= Do[co[i] = 0, {i, 100}]

In[12]:= co /@ Range[10]

Out[12]= {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}

Indexed variables are generally easier to manipulate than Symbols,
particularly when
you have many of them and want to manipulate them programmatically.

Regards,
Leonid