Re: Subscript in AxesLabel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111251] Re: Subscript in AxesLabel
  • From: telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 01:58:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 24, 4:06 am, atlas shrugger <ashrug... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please teach me to put subscript in AxesLabel. I have 3D plot command
> ListPlot3D[..., AxesLabel->{}]. I want label to look like in LaTeX
> "u_k(x_1(s),t)" but I receive only various error messages when I try
> to put this to Mathematica.
>
> Many thanks for help in advance.
>
> Best regards,
> A. S.

Type:

(1) PlotLabel -> and then hit Ctrl+9, (*This creates an inline cell*)
(2) followed by u Ctrl+-
(3) followed by (x Ctrl+- 1 (s),t)

With the method above you do NOT need to enclose it in " ".

However, if you hadn't created an inline cell, and merely typed in
u_k(x_1(s),t) (*using the appropriate shortcuts for subscripts, of
course*), then Mathematica would treat this as StandardForm[] input
(notice the coloring?), causing the () in your expression confuse the
program. (Why? Mathematica is expecting [] for functions) To fix this,
you could alternatively just make it a string, i.e., wrap the label in
"".

I prefer the inline cell method.

-RG