Re: how to scale text to a bounding rectangle?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110417] Re: how to scale text to a bounding rectangle?
  • From: Michael <michael2718 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 02:03:59 -0400 (EDT)

The problem with both of these solutions is that I need the bounding
rectangle to be in a Graphics[] expression because I'm creating several
of these text filled boxes at arbitrary offsets.  I'm trying to create
something similar to Graph[] (hopefully using it's embedding functions)
but instead of vertexes I want to create collections of boxes containing
text.  However Mathematica seems to render text independently of the
coordinate range of the graphic.  For example, these two expressions
produce identical output:

Graphics[{
   Text[Style["Test", 12]],
   Circle[{0, 0}, 1]
   }
  ]

Graphics[{
   Text[Style["Test", 12]],
   Circle[{0, 0}, 100]
   }
  ]

I found something close to what I want to do, but it's ugly because the
graphics don't scale nicely:

Graphics[{
   FaceForm[], EdgeForm[Black],
   Raster[Reverse[Rasterize["Hello", "Data"]], {{0, 0}, {100, 16}}],
   Rectangle[{0, 0}, {100, 16}]
   }
]

But I would have to hope that surely there is some way to put Text[] in
Graphics[] such that the size of the text is proportional to the visible
coordinate range of the Graphics[]. Even if I could only find the size
of the text in a given image I could then scale it as needed.  I tried
using Rasterize[string,"RasterSize"] but I couldn't figure out how to
make it work.  Any ideas along that line?  I'm hoping that I'm just
missing something obvious that I've overlooked in Mathematica's big API...

Thanks,

Michael