Re: Video compression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108389] Re: Video compression
  • From: Robert Pigeon <robert.pigeon at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 04:45:00 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for your answer Sjoerd,
  I agree with you: Import/AVI format lists what is available as formats.
But... Do the following, it is an AVI format:

Import["http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/amos/demos/flythroughb.avi","VideoEnco
ding"]
Will give: CRAM

Now do:
Import["C:\\Users\\rpigeon\\Videos\\flythroughb.avi", "Animation"]
Will give: Import::fmterr: Cannot import data as video format. >>

So what I was asking is: the codecs used by Mathematica is a long way from
all that is used for AVI encoding formats. The same is also true for other
type of video extensions. Just try Importing a WMV video in Windows from the
Video Samples directory and you will see that it cannot be used in
Mathematica directly. Do I have to uncompress (UNCOMPRESS format is in the
AVI list of format for avi and other type of videos) a video before using it
in Mathematica? Or is there a way to do the uncompress inside Mathematica?

Robert