How to extract the x-axis and y-axis current ticks of a plot from AbsoluteOptions?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108400] How to extract the x-axis and y-axis current ticks of a plot from AbsoluteOptions?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 04:47:06 -0500 (EST)

Version 7:

Many times I find I need to change the Plot Ticks (mostly to make the ticks
display in units of Pi for example instead of just in pure real numbers).

The only way I know how to do this now is this:

I build my own Ticks lists, and then do

Plot[...,Ticks->{myXticks,myYTicks},....]

But the problem with this, is tha I have to guess (Actually I do little more
than guessing) to obtain a good number of ticks to use, else I get too few
ticks or too many.

But what would be better is to use the Ticks Mathematica uses on the plot
before I change the ticks myself. The reason is that I would know the most
optimal number of ticks to use.

So, now What I want to do is this: First plot, but do not display, using
default Mathematica ticks. Then use AbsoluteOptions to get the ticks
information, then pull out the x-ticks list and the y-ticks from these,
modify each tick value to the value I want using my own transformation, then
set the plot again but now using the changed x and y ticks, then plot and
display.

But I am stuck after getting the ticks information from the current plot. As
I am not able to figure how to pull out the x-ticks and y-ticks out of it. I
do not know how these are encoded in there.   Here is what I do

p = Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 10}, Ticks -> Automatic]
t = Ticks /. AbsoluteOptions[p]

You can see from the plot, that x-ticks are {2,4,6,8,10}  and y-ticks are
{-1.0,0,.5,1}

But I do not know how to pull these 2 lists out of the "t" variable above. I
just need the list of numbers (do not care about the other attributes such
as Thickness and GrayLevel and all that.)

Dimensions[t]
{2}

Dimensions[t[[1]]]
{21, 4}

Dimensions[t[[2]]]
{41, 4}

Are these things documented somewhere? Looking at FullForm[t] was not much
help.

thanks,
--Nasser