An open note for all the Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108577] An open note for all the Mathematica
  • From: Pratip Chakraborty <pratip.chakraborty at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 04:41:39 -0500 (EST)

Dear MathGroup Members,

I have been using Mathematica for a long time now. I like it; actually it
will be better to say that I am kind of in love with it. However in the
versions of Mathematica 6 and 7 we saw many new features that are really
great. But I was thinking if the developers have any plan to increase the
numerical capabilities of Mathematica in near future. In our institute which
is a quite renowned one in the world we use Mathematica but we also face a
group of coworkers who just don't get enough convinced with the numerical
power of Mathematica. They are not completely wrong with their point of
view, I must admit that. But with my experience I feel that Mathematica
still has much scope to incorporate cutting edge algorithms that can extend
its numerical power to a much greater extent. I will specify some of them in
the following.

Especially the in case of numerical simulation of coupled PDEs the
development seems to be quite stagnant if we consider the last four
versions. On the other hand there is a free add on called IMTEK which proves
to be an example how Mathematica  can be used to solve industrial scale
problem in the field of multiphysics. There is an exceptional add on Analog
Insydes that also shows Mathematica  technology is powerful and robust
enough to tackle simulations of large dynamical system that are nonlinear
and governed by DAEs. I am giving these examples because with new and new
version release of Mathematica the task to interface this old and add-ons
seems to be a nasty job. Whereas it is more than conspicuous that IMTEK is a
great piece of open source software that will perform much better if
integrated with latest version of Mathematica. My question is if there is
any plan in the development pipeline to include this type of simulation
features. I am sure with this credibility Mathematica will be no doubt one
of the best prototyping tool available for the whole applied mathematics
community.

Another place that can be easily extended is the parallelization of Linear
System solver. There are so many excellent C++ solvers which are open
source. It should not be much more difficult than how IDA package was
integrated in NDSolve. Mathematica has the entire ingredient to have a
parallel LinearSolve I don't know why it is still missing. Ability to take
advantage from GPUs were announced (
http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1227010734073.html) but not included finally
in version 7. May be the time was not correct in 2009 but now it seems to be
good future step for the next Mathematica release. I myself have managed to
use the CUDA architecture in my Mathematica code and I am just a graduate
student of applied mathematics. I will really look forward to see it.

FindRoot is also a function that needs a lot of attention. There are so many
wonderful algorithms available which by their own right deserve a place in
the package that FindRoot offers. With just a few days of effort and
consulting some recent literatures I remember to have implemented a homotpy
continuation based algorithm in Mathematica that can deal with large
nonlinear systems which FindRoot simply fails to solve deal with. I am sure
it does not require too much effort Mathematica already has everything in
its disposal. What we need is a much more dynamic vision and a strong wish
to excel better than everybody else.

Another system has extended its parallel capabilities to cover vast areas of
mathematics with their release in 2010 we must not stay behind. Another part
of hardcore numerics is finite element based computation. Mathematica still
possess very naive support for doing such things. There is no finite volume
or mesh free method implemented within Mathematica PDE solver. Once we build
a simple frame work for such things we can carry on further to enrich it and
update it with latest algorithms. Mathematica specially has this quality to
achieve them as it has such beautiful building blocks in the core supported
with elegant functional programming paradigm.

Another missing stuff is documentation for interfacing C/C++ programs. There
is very few or no example that properly shows how powerful technology
Mathematica brings with it. Though parallel computation supported
Mathematica must now make many of its functions for manipulation and
creation of List to use the multicore architectures. Most institutes now
have large vector machines and with a little step further Mathematica can
deliver tremendous power by using this powerful hardware at their full
force.

These are some of the things that I, being a Mathemaica lover, would like to
see implemented in near future. Of course I understand that Mathematica is a
proprietary software and the developers might not like or have the freedom
to answer or even give any hint to my questions but still I could not help
writing this post because I really like the software and want it to be
unbeatable in the field of computational science and no need to mention that
I dream that one day my colleagues will be convinced and will consider that
Mathematica is worthy to give a try even for most of the  industrial scale
numerical problems.

At last if given the chance for this post to appear in the group I will not
really look forward for a concrete answer from the core developers but a
healthy discussion does not seem to be too much to ask. All the Mathematica
gurus/lovers are encouraged also to write their suggestion for the
development team and to mention the unplugged Mathematical flowers our good
old friend Mathematica should pick up on its way to a bright future.

With best regards to all,

Pratip