Re: An open note for all the Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108620] Re: An open note for all the Mathematica
  • From: Mark McClure <mcmcclur at unca.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 04:27:06 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Pratip Chakraborty
<pratip.chakraborty at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking if the developers have any plan to increase the
> numerical capabilities of Mathematica in near future.
> Especially the in case of numerical simulation of coupled PDEs the
> development seems to be quite stagnant if we consider the last four
> versions. On the other hand there is a free add on called IMTEK which proves
> to be an example how Mathematica  can be used to solve industrial scale
> problem in the field of multiphysics.

You might be interested in Wolfram Blog post and video:
http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/11/12/the-rd-pipeline-for-mathematica/
where Stephen Wolfram outlines a number of core areas of Mathematica
development.  The first thing he mentions is PDEs.  The author of
IMTEK is now a Wolfram employee as well so I strongly suspect that
we'll see a major improvement along these lines in the near future.
It would be particularly nice to see some FEM algorithms incorporated.
 As of now, an elliptic problem can really only be handled by relaxing
into the solution.

> Another missing stuff is documentation for interfacing C/C++ programs.

Have you seen Todd Gayley's tutorial?
http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/TechNotes/174/

I agree that it would be nice to see Mathematica incorporate a broader
range of purely numerical algorithms.  Mathematica's overall focus is
so broad, though, that I think it would be a mistake to focus on it
entirely.  There are a number of other areas that could certainly be
improved: graph theory, computational geometry, abstract algebra, TeX
export, all off the top of my head.  I think it's very unlikely that
the other system will be displaced from its unique position in numerical
analysis but, so what?  They're very different tools.

Mark McClure