How to pass additional parameters to the ticks function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108629] How to pass additional parameters to the ticks function?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 04:28:56 -0500 (EST)

background:

When plotting, one can supply a specific tick function, which is
automatically called by the Plot code. This allows one to have control on
how the ticks are set.

This is useful. Here is an example:

------------------------------
ticksX[min_, max_] := Table[{i, Style[i, Red, 12], {0.04, 0}},
   {i, Ceiling[min], Floor[max]}]

Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 4}, Ticks -> {ticksX, Automatic}]
-------------------------------

The only problem with the above design, is that sometimes one might want to
have additional information inside the ticks function, other than just the
min and the max ticks values, to help it decide what to do.

Assume this additional information is some variable, say T.

Right now, the only way to access this variable from inside the ticks
function, is to have T  be global. I prefer not to use global
variables/symbols.

It would be much better if Ticks would take additional, and optional
parameter, to pass to the ticks function.

May be something like

ticksX[min_, max_,extra_List] :=  If[ extra[[1]]==.... etc.....]

Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 4}, Ticks -> {ticksX[{T}], Automatic}]

And now inside my ticks function, I can access the additional information if
I want to use it to help me set the ticks.

If the above is not possible in version 7, is it possible to make this
enhancement available in version 8?

--Nasser