Re: Mathematica front-end very sluggish under Linux

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108609] Re: Mathematica front-end very sluggish under Linux
  • From: Herman Kuun <oomkoos1 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 04:24:57 -0500 (EST)

Leo I can understand your frustration. Been there myself.

1) If not already use the Xfce GUI instead of KDE or GNOME. You should get a
noticable improvement because Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment.
Configure it and cut out the frills like animation effects and such.

2) Mathematica performs better with Umbuntu 8.xx than 9.xx. In general
Mathematica does not do well in the Debian-Linux environment that Ubuntu is
based on. That goes for both GUI and kernel performances. Switch to CentOS
or RedHat You will experience the difference.

3) If (2) is not an option and you have a Mathematica service subscription,
there are java modules available that improves the Mathematica Benchmark
test by 18-23 percent on Ubuntu 9.xx.

After a few weeks of the above gyrations and many Mathematica password
requests for different hard-drives and operating system combinations I
decided to use Gentoo-linux and from that day never look back. Here are the
reasons why:

- You start with a minimal basic operating system.
- Only add applications and utilities you need thus cutting down on CPU and
operating system overhead.
- For ultimate performance and using the gcc compiler everything is targeted
and compiled specifically for the computer hardware. Instead of the general
one glove fits all linux-x86_64 bit  kernel, it is now compiled to extract
every ounce from an AMD dual core K8-architechture cpu. Which also holds for
all applications and utilities.
- Use J/Link to point to the locally compiled java Sun-JDK-1.6. The
Mathematica Java hierarchy has the Java module downloads installed as well.

Benefits:
- No GUI Notebook or Palette lags. Compares favorably with Mathematica-7
installed on Windows XP.
- Test result for the Mathematica Benchmark shows a 39-48 percent gain
compared to the Ubuntu-9 configuration test results.

Wish you success.

Best
Herman.