Re: Sorting Filenames into HTML Coding

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108703] Re: Sorting Filenames into HTML Coding
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 04:07:48 -0500 (EST)

BenT wrote:
> I have a web page HTML coding problem which I'm trying to use Mathematica's
> file and string functions to solve for me.
>
> I've created a text file, in DOS of 695 file names which I've
> "imported" (via the "Lines" option) and need to manipulate each into
> HTML table data code like the following:
>
> For example, given a file name of "Aaron Robarts Wolfe.pdf", I then
> need to (while processing each filename such as with the For[]
> function, loaded already into a 695 element array, convert it to the
> following HTML code:

> Robarts</td></tr>
>
> The output coding of the names however must be sorted as if they were
> in a Last, First Middle (if any) order which I'll cut/paste into the
> "master" HTML documents for the web page concerned.
>
> It would be very nice to include "letter" separators into the coding
> (as opposed to me having to cut/paste each letter category into the
> master docuement, The coding for each letter should be like this:

> The "name" tags have already been defined in the master document.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think you need to be more specific as to what you need help with. I
mean, given a file full of file names (BTW, I assume that you mean a
text file, rather than a DOS file), it is easy to read that as strings
with ReadList. It is also easy to use StringJoin (<>) to prepare lines
of HTML, etc. So tell us exactly what it is that you can't do -
preferably with some of your code, and someone will surely help.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk