Re: Printing large PDF files generated from Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108699] Re: Printing large PDF files generated from Mathematica
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 04:07:04 -0500 (EST)

M Kelly wrote:
> Hi fellow Mathematica afficionados
>
> I am having difficulty printing large PDF files generated from
> Mathematica.
> I first generate the material as ExpressionCell[] and TextCell[]
> objects and generate the Mathematica document containing these cells
> using the command nb = CreateDocument[{Cells}]. I then use
> NotebookPrint[nb, file.pdf] to generate the corresponding PDF file.
>
> I have a large number of Chart[] objects embedded in many of the
> Cells. I also have to embed the output in the low level Cell[]
> structure so that I can arrange the material on separate pages in the
> final PDF document. This document is typically about 1.5 Mbs in size.
> When I open the file in Adobe Acrobat and it looks fine.
>
> But when I try to print the PDF file it generates an error message
> saying that it is trying to 'flatten' the contents of the file. I look
> at the size of the print file and it is enormous: usually hundreds of
> Mbs in size - far larger than the pdf file itself. Eventually the
> effort to print the document consumes the computer and it crashes!
>
> Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
> Has anyone tried setting the Adobe Distiller program, which controls
> the printing process, to another setting? It appears that Adobe has
> great problems trying to interpret either Mathematica chart pictures
> or Mathematica cells. Which is it? Any help on this problem would be
> strongly appreciated
>
> Best Regards
> Michael

I started using the free program PrimoPDF a long time ago before
Mathematica could create PDF files. The software pretends to be a
printer, and output sent to it ends up as a PDF file. It works well, but
I don't know if it would solve your problem, but since the software is
free, it would be worth trying!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk