Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109718] Re: How to write reports and books in Mathematica
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 07:25:21 -0400 (EDT)

Unless you don't know LaTeX, or do know it but don't regard it as a
"word processing system", then surely you're joking about Mathematica
being "far superior to any other word processing system."

Mathematica cannot touch LaTeX in typesetting documents to publication
standards with technical content. To mention just a few LaTeX strengths:
correct sizes of large delimiters and math operators; correct
discrimination in typesetting in-line mathematics vs. display
mathematics (e.g., with respect to positioning of subscripts and
superscripts for integral signs and summation signs); flexibility in
formatting tables and matrices; easy internal labeling and references to
theorems, figures, etc.; easy handling and flexible formatting of
bibliographies and references to them; smart splitting of text into
justified lines (if you want justification) and smart division of the
document into pages; easy handling of multiple languages within a single
document (if that's relevant).

What's more, LaTeX allows its user to focus primarily upon the content
and organizational structure of the document, not upon the appearance of
the document.

The price is no ability to evaluate mathematical expressions directly
within the document, or to provide a "live" document to the reader.

Of course LaTeX is a mark-up language, not a WYSIWIG "word processor".
And I have to admit that for a quick job, it's often easier for me to
use Mathematica to knock off a document. But very, very seldom are the
results anywhere near as good-looking -- and correctly typeset by
recognized standards -- as what, with a big more investment of time, I
can accomplish with LaTeX.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305