Re: Help: my mathemetica is broken

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109756] Re: Help: my mathemetica is broken
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 19:59:01 -0400 (EDT)

There is a known issue in Mathematica 7 for Windows where, quite rarely,
Mathematica might corrupt a stylesheet in the installation directory if it has
write access to the directory.  This is generally not a problem on Vista or
Windows 7, where the operating system itself shuts off write access to the
entire Program Files directory (with some technical exceptions that don't apply
to Mathematica 7.0.1).  But it can certainly happen under Windows XP.  The
symptoms you describe appear to indicate that this bug has bitten you.

The best solution would be to completely uninstall and reinstall Mathematica.
You should be able to do this without affecting anything else on your system; it
will maintain your password file and preferences.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group