Re: Eric weisstein's MathWorld packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg110027] Re: Eric weisstein's MathWorld packages
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 04:46:03 -0400 (EDT)

I just tried this with freshly-downloaded copies of the version of the
Utilities packages from MathWorld and had no difficulty.

You don't say which version of Mathematica or the Utilities you're
using.  I'm using the current version of Mathematica and the 6.0 version
of Utilities.

I unzipped Utilities.zip to:

   StringJoin[ToFileName[$UserAddOnsDirectory], "Utilities"]

so that, for example, Plot.m is in that Utilities directory.

No trouble here doing:

   <<Utilities`Plot`

Did you, by mistake, unzip the files to either of the following?

   StringJoin[ToFileName[$UserAddOnsDirectory], "MathWorld"]
   StringJoin[ToFileName[$UserAddOnsDirectory], "MathWorld/Utilities"]

I don't think eeither of those will work.

And I was able to test a couple of functions from the Plot utilities
called by other packages downloaded from MathWorld. Note, though, that
there are some incompatibilities or unpleasantness of some of the
individual example packages you can download from MathWorld and the use
of the utilities as called. And even using the automatic Mathematica
scan of those old notebooks and allowing it to fix them doesn't cure all
the problems.  For example, GraphicsArray seems to be embedded within
some Utilities`Plot` functions, whereas Mathematica 7 wants you to use
GraphicsGrid (or GraphicsRow or GraphicsColumn).  And there are deeper
issues as well.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305